Edit post Seguir este blog Administration + Create my blog

Versión en español

If you have followed my recent posts, you may know that I am about to publish a book, self-edited with Scribus.

After comparing several on-demand companies in Internet, I decided to work with the American company CreateSpace, related to Amazon. They have the most interesting fares for printing and services - in spite of the high costs of on-demand printing. 

Besides, they just opened some printing & distribution centres in continental Europe, which should improve their reaction timing (and delivery costs...)

But if you plan to sell your book on the Internet this way, It is not enough just to upload a PDF file and order some sample print. You will also need to be registered as tax payer in the EU system.

First form: ITIN

In my case, as a foreigner, this means to get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), which I can do by submitting a W-7 form (it can be downloaded from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf). Since Spanish language is growing fast in the US, you can also find a version of the file in that language: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7sp.pdf

This form will provide just the identification number, related to the person, place of residence and nationality. It is used to apply (if available) the apropriate tax deduction. In case of Spain, it will be a 5% (default is 30%!)... It will NOT give any right to social coverage.

... And here is where small letter begins. In order to get the ITIN, you must provide your tax declaration in US from the previous year - and what if you do not have it?

Then, you need to justify that "someone" is requesting this number form you. Again in my case, CreateSpace will provide with a letter to make this justification; this letter has to be send with the W-7 form...

Furthermore, I need to demonstrate my residence outside the US, through a certified copy of my passport. All this must be sent by standard post to the specific US government office - The process may take around 8 - 10 weeks from Europe. 

Once you get the ITIN, it will be used in the next form - the W-8BEN. 

Second form: W-8BEN

Form W-8BEN can be downloaded from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf and it has to be sent to the company that will pay you - they will also deduct your taxes prior to the payment. I have to send this filled-in form to CreateSpace, with information of my ITIN and my CreateSpace member code. 

This W-8BEN form is considered to be a sworn document (Affidavit) for legal matters. Again, this one has to be sent per standard post, and it should be the last step...

Ongoing action...

So now I have to get the certified copy of my passport. I will tell you later on my progress with this...

And I need to investigate how to make my tax declaration in the US if I ever get any income - If I can do it from Spain...

Tag(s) : #Publication